Re: more looped tuba examples from Ouroboros

Ah! Glad it worked, Miles. So much fun!!!!

richard sales
glassWing farm and studio
vancouver island, b.c.
800.545.6846
250.752.4816
www.glassWing.com
www.richardsales.com
www.hayleysales.com
www.blueberryfieldsfarm.com

On 15-May-07, at 1:37 PM, miles ward wrote:

I just did a recording session with Richard @ Glasswing, I hope to
have some samples up for all of you to peruse shortly. I've done the
mic down the bell thing, but I thought we got a great sound with a big
condenser about 3 ft from the bell. I'm on a sousaphone too, so that
might impact the success of the "down the bell" technique, since mine
is kinked. You're stuff is amazing, these are GREAT recordings! Fun
stuff for all of us tuba folks. Have you guys heard the
YoungBloodBrassBand tuba player Nate McCavish? The guy is a complete
chainsaw of bass. Marvelous!

On 5/15/07, burnett@pobox.com <burnett@pobox.com> wrote:
On Tue, 15 May 2007, Per Boysen wrote:

> On 15 maj 2007, at 02.33, burnett@pobox.com wrote:
>> The Face of the Waters - 16min34sec
>> http://www.subscapeannex.com/tuba/the_face_of_the_waters.mp3
>> Walking With Belgrand - An evening stroll underground with the architect of
>> the epic Parisian sewer system. - 19min19sec
>> http://www.subscapeannex.com/tuba/walking_with_belgrand.mp3
>> Circus of the Rat Catchers - 10min55sec
>> http://www.subscapeannex.com/tuba/circus_of_the_rat_catchers.mp3
>>
>> All tracks recorded live, all source audio live-sampled tuba, no
>> post-processing or layering other than cleaning noise using SoundSoap.
>
> Fantastic! How did you catch that sound? Would you mind give out a little
> more information, please? Mic placement? Harmonizer? Filter?

Per:

I asked my partner David about the mic he uses, the following is his
response:

####################
I bought a Shure Beta 57A mic when I started playing with Hubcap's
Dilemma. And I bought another one when I started playing with you.
They are very rugged like their legendary brethren the Shure
SM57.......and I like the way the tuba sounds through them...even
when the mic is way down the bell. They do a great job with acoustic
guitar also...very warm and non-stingy.
####################

The mic is dropped down the bell of the tuba and is at least a foot and a
half down the mouth of the bell of the tuba.

The mic feeds into my long signal chain of loop and effects pedals,
then the output of the signal chain goes to a mixer. One output from the
mixer to the amp, the second output to a Gemini iKey. Record as wav file,
clean hiss and background noise in Sound Soap, then import to iTunes and
convert from wav to mp3.

Processing on these sessions:

For Sunday's sessions, I used most of the loop pedals at one point or
another for layering, either as the "clean" unprocessed tuba signal, or
to loop a processed tuba bit so David could then solo live over that.
Rarely I will loop with the same effects and settings, and I almost always
differentiate David's solos as either clean, or processed differently from
the active loops.

Effects used Sunday: Moog lowpass filter, ring mod, (non-super) analog
delay, mostly. Used the E-H POG a little on the second track "Walking With
Belgrand".

(Signal chain:
I have two loop pedals (Akai Headrush E2, Z-Vex Lo-Fi Loop Junky) at the
top of the signal chain. They are followed by the set of Z-Vex pedals
(Woolly Mammoth, Seek Wah, Ooh Wah, Ringtone, Seek Trem), then another
loop pedal (Line 6 DL4) precedes the Moog Moogerfooger set (lowpass
filter, ring mod, phaser, MuRF, bass MuRF, analog delay, super analog
delay), followed by an E-H Polyphonic Octave Generator. The end of the
signal chain is a set of four loop pedals (E-H 16sec delay - the reissue,
not original), Boss RC-20, Boss RC-20XL, Digitech Jamman). )

I hope this helps answer your questions.

best,
Steve B
Subscape Annex http://www.subscapeannex.com/
Ouroboros http://www.subscapeannex.com/ouroboros/